Navigation

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Swedish tick - black grouse!

If I get a colder dawn than this one this year I will be surprised.

A freezing (-13!) dawn greeted me at Tranebo, a lookout over the north end of the huge Dumme Mosse (peat bog), near Jönköping. I lasted just under an hour. Frost was forming on my telescope and my eyelashes kept freezing to my hat! But occasional scanning finally revealed a female black grouse feeding high in a distant birch tree - my target bird, in all its glory. Also here the feeder attracted a number of species including bullfinch (3), brambling (1), nuthatch (1), marsh tit (1) and jay (7).

Driving around to Gunnarsö, a fruiting rowan near Axamo produced three redwing and a mistle thrush, in amongst the more abundant fieldfare. There has been a black-throated thrush nearby recently, so any thrush flock is worth a check. Gunnarsö was hard work in the snow but I managed a 4 km walk. Plenty of crested and willow tits in the woods and a nice adult golden eagle over a large clearing was excellent. But sadly no sign of any capercaillies. Next time, perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment