Navigation

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Red Tuesday

Took the team for a rainy walk around Önnarp in the morning. Did the usual loop and had a good time. The kids munched on blueberries and I walked on a bit to hear what was about. I did good in a limited way with a few scarce patch species; heard my first nutcracker of the year and had a couple of willow tits. The undoubted highlight though was a good view of a perched adult female honey buzzard, interrupted whilst feeding. Checked out the lake at Hålehallstugan, lots of young birds on the water and a spotted flycatcher hunting round the edge.

In the afternoon, Mrs B and I headed for Sandön. The rain overnight and during the day had knocked a few waders down. I was chuffed with five curlew sandpipers but many more were to come later. Also here dunlin (80) and bar-tailed godwit (1).

As the rain had eased off I decided to check Rönnen quickly. The shoreline west of the island was heaving with calidrids. At least 450 dunlin, a massive 52 curlew sandpipers and seven knot. 52 curlew sands all in summer plumage and whizzing about like maniacs!! Despite the huge number of calidrids there were no stints or broad-bills. I was I suspect robbed... Also here little ringed plover (2), ruff (2), snipe (2), greenshank (2), wood sandpiper (10) and common sandpiper (15).

On the way home stopped at Sandön again quickly for grey plover (1) and golden plover (1). A successful day.

1 comment:

  1. Nice one, Phil.. 52 Curlew Sands is a great count! Am jealous of the Honey Buzzard, too... I have never seen one perched up.

    ReplyDelete