Navigation

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Birding - 24/02/09


Woke up at 4 am this morning, so went owling again. This time hit the high ground and did a circular tour in the car, stopping at regular intervals. Clocked up four different tawny owls and heard my first patch pygmy owl. Will go back again for the latter to try and get views. As first light hit, I walked out onto a large bog hoping for black grouse. There are sporadic reports from this area but I have a feeling that they no longer breed. I may have to ask someone, because I am struggling to find a lek on the patch on my own. Birds were few and far between but tracks in the snow revealed that a large moose was present in the area.

As the sun started to deliver some real warmth I headed for the coast at Vasaltheden. Definately a spring feel in the air. A light passage of skylark was obvious and a few lapwing were about. Walking the beach I found the tracks of a ringed plover - a potential year-tick and one of the first spring migrants hereabouts. I did not have to wait long before I heard one and eventually I found it. The 22nd saw the floodgates open for the early migrants here and many are arriving just as the snow clears the low-lying areas - it is uncanny. Other birds seen along the coast included starling, pintail and an odd hybrid duck that looked like mallard x wigeon. Walked back to the car through the Glimminge woodland and heard a black woodpecker giving its ringing flight call.

No comments:

Post a Comment