Navigation

Monday, January 3, 2011

What do you think?

Have a look at these two images. The first is a peregrine identified yesterday perched on the navigation marker on Vinga, between Hallands Väderö and the mainland and probably 1800m metres from Torekov hamn where I took the picture.

The second picture is of a large falcon taken way back in winter 2009. I stared at this bird for a long time wondering if it was a gyr before other birders arrived and persuaded me it was a peregrine... I have waited patiently since then to get another falcon perched in the same spot for comparison. I think the second falcon has a good goshawk-like jizz in this shot, longer tail and thicker tail-base. Size-wise it is slightly bigger than the peregrine in the first photo but looks like it might weigh much more. Anyone care to comment?


1 comment:

  1. Hi Phil,

    Interesting comparison! I would be very cautious about calling the second bird as a Gyr. To me it looks slimmer and longer-tailed but that could just be posture (the first looks hunched). Braver souls might make a call...!

    T

    ReplyDelete