Navigation

Sunday, March 20, 2011

We're going to need a bigger bird-tower

With the team still very much under the weather we had an easy morning, but dragged ourselves out for a drive to check some prospective dragonfly sites for the summer. We found a possible Epitheca site and also managed a superb great grey shrike, off-patch at Ekered.

On the way home we had an hour at Klarningen and this proved to be an inspired choice. Within minutes of arrival I was being shown a splendid pink-footed goose associating closely with a tight flock of six white-fronts. I used to see pink-feet in their thousands every winter but I appreciate them far more now that I see one or two a year. Nice bird.

Klarningen had not stopped giving though; other highlights included a flock of 21 migrating tundra swans heading east, two barnacle geese, a lone dunlin, two snipe and the first curlew of the year at Klarningen. The hour long vigil gave me three BK year-ticks, this site is going to go 'nova this spring I reckon.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Phil, looking forward to hearing about what you see at Klarningen this spring... I hope your high hopes will be fulfilled or even exceeded! :-)

    Hope you all get well soon, too..

    T

    ReplyDelete