Navigation

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A bit of a seawatch

With strong westerlies arriving as per forecast I dropped the kids off at school and headed out for a sea-watch at Yttre Kattvik. Here I met Leif and Bengt, who had little to show for the previous two hours and promptly departed. Not auspicious. I stuck it out for two hours and although things were slow I enjoyed it. Highlights here included: seven black-throated divers loafing offshore; a few waders past including ringed plover (1), golden plover (1), knot (6), dunlin (3) and redshank (7); a trickle of terns including one adult Arctic tern and three guillemots.

After two hours I moved and had a quick look at Klarningen - very little - and then moved to Eskilstorpsstrand for another hour of seawatching. This was much better with first a great skua and then a probable Arctic showing distantly. The wind was strong but had backed SW. Waders come in close and fast at this site and I was pleased to catch a few flocks that included more knot (7), dunlin (12), ruff (1), redshank (2) and turnstone (2). A heavy shower eventually sent me scuttling for the car and home.

No comments:

Post a Comment