Navigation

Monday, June 28, 2010

Patch tick - great egret!

Last day with my sister and her family, so in the afternoon we headed out for a walk out onto Gröthögarna. This proved to be an inspired choice. As we walked south a marsh harrier put all the herons off the wetland in the centre of the headland. My 'spidey-senses' were tingling so I checked carefully through the five grey herons for a possible purple. Nothing doing, then I looked up and saw a great egret slowly flying north! Excellent bird. Got nice views, did a victory boogie and then remembered I should be taking photographs...

It looked good going past but by the time the camera was out... Scarce in BK and a good NW Skåne bird. They should get commoner though and will certainly be easier to see in BK when Klarningen comes online.

Other birds here included dunlin (2) and snipe (1), as well as four massive mullet along the harbour wall at Norrebrohamn when we were having a swim...

Big mullet (Mugil cephalus) , there are several species in European waters but I struggled to identify this one on Google due to it sharing it's English name with a disastrous hair-style...



1 comment:

  1. Nice one, Phil! And a great mullet there... reminds me of Chris Waddle in the 1990s..

    ReplyDelete