Navigation

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Back on patch

After driving from Holland yesterday, there was just enough energy available to walk from Vejbystrand to Ranarpsstrand this afternoon. The patch has been quiet in my absence, the hot weather continued for a while and then broke down. A good blow at the end of July produced a few good seabirds and someone reported a serin at Torekov too. Waders have also been more in evidence with a good spread of species, many of which would be patch year-ticks. With this in mind I headed out.

Starting my walk at Vejbystrand was always going to be risky, it is just outside the patch, but it is a good stretch so it would be churlish to avoid it. I BK-tick using UK county rules (ie the bird has to be in or over the patch to count), Vejbystrand has made me curse in the past and it did not disappoint today. Not one but three would-be patch year-ticks (bar-tailed godwit, two grey plover and two knot) sat on rocks just yards from the BK border...

Walking on into the patch I hoped to claw them back but a single knot at Ranarpstrand was my only reward. Big numbers (55) of common sandpiper present along the coast today. Also small numbers of wood sandpiper and ringed plover, as well as green sandpiper (1), golden plover (2), whimbrel (2) and greenshank (3). Two adult Arctic terns at Ranarpsstrand were my first of the autumn. Good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment