Navigation

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A glorious mixed-bag and a patch tick too!

A classic patch day and a sure sign that autumn is upon us, managed a few little mini-session and amassed a great haul of birds. Nipped out in the morning after sorting out the team and checked Ehrenstorp. This site has been good for wryneck in August in the past and it did not disappoint this morning. I had a wonderful ten minute encounter with one of these crazy woodpeckers - a patch year-tick.

Not sure what went wrong with this one, it was quite dark but perhaps I shouldn't have had the camera on the 'fireworks' setting. It was a great bird!

Also here one very close migrating honey buzzard, a dozen mistle thrushes and both spotted and pied flycatcher. Although BK has 55 kilometres of coastline, in August you are better off looking for common migrants on the higher ground. A quick look at Klarningen in strong SW winds and occasional heavy showers produced two whooper swans, shoveler (3), ruff (6), greenshank (1) and wood sandpiper (4).

In the afternoon I had 20 minutes at Vejbystrand and neighbouring Stora Hultstrand, the wind was very strong and the sea was incredible. Waders were clinging on at Vejbystrand with knot (2), curlew sandpiper (2, 1K), dunlin (4) and bar-tailed godwit (3). Right by the fence that marks the boundary between the two minicipalities was a beautiful broad-billed sandpiper - just 30 cm off-patch! Not to worry though, I flushed it south and poked my telescope over the fence to look into BK and there were two more on Stora Hultstrand. Result, my first patch 'flock' of these northern beauties. Also here knot (1), Temminck's stint (1) and curlew sandpiper (1, adult).

Arriving home later after the school-run, I realised rather late in the day that sea-watching was happening. The wind was strong but I thought it was too SW for seabird action. Things were happening to the north though, so I gave it a couple of hours at Yttre Kattvik at the end of the day. Just terns moving for me, but quite big numbers and it was no surprise when an adult black tern came past close-in. Patch tick! There have been so many around this month that is was slightly inevitable but still a great moment. Tomorrow looks monster for sea-watching and I will be squeezing in sessions around my various domestic duties and hoping for the best...

1 comment:

  1. Good going, Phil! Hope the winds today brought you a Cory's Shear.. I see there was one just up the coast from you heading south at lunchtime! T

    ReplyDelete