Navigation

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Glorious Klarningen

I could not get a picture of today's star bird at Klarningen due to a camera malfunction when it was sitting on a fence in plain view, but here is a shot of one of last year's individuals. Makes a nice mystery bird photo...

Dropped Ma B off at the train station for her flight home to Norfolk and took the opportunity to visit nearby Klarningen. Met up with Johan and Bengt, who were making their first visit to the site, they seemed impressed, despite the fact that management work had seen off all the birds! They did however point out a curlew sandpiper whilst we chatted - a new Klarningen bird for me.

With the site so disturbed I had no crisis of conscience about walking the northern half and I was pretty sure that I would find a red-throated pipit. Sure enough within ten minutes I heard the electric 'pssiiiiih' call and flushed not one but two. Just like last year and in almost exactly the same spot! A meadow pipit was with them and when it perched on the fence it did not take long for one of the the red-throats to join it. Superb 'scope views. I fumbled for my camera, but my battery was dead... So no photo today on the blog either, I cannot believe that the first good bird to stray into range for ages got away. Walking around I flushed my latest ever Temminck's stint (1), other waders today included greenshank (1) and ruff (2). As I drove away a splendid adult goshawk (male?) shot past. At least five wheatear along the access track today. Nice little session.

On the way home dropped in quickly at Petersberg, more wheatear (3) here and a two flyby common crossbill.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Phil, do your scandi type Wheatear show these kind of rufous tones, as at Chutney? What about leucorhoa do they pass through with you?
    All Best
    Birding through the pain,
    Craig.
    Someone needs to start trapping these blighters that pass through the midlands to sort out the complex!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done with the Red-throated, P!

    ReplyDelete