Navigation

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Two hours at Yttre Kattvik

Number 2 and I were back at Yttre Kattvik for two hours mid-morning in strong south-westerly winds. Johan Stenlund and another birder were already in position and reported that not much had happened so far. As I sat down though after converting the car into a play-pen, they called the first skua, the first of five Arctics. As usual some of the birds were educational... Also noted were migrating common scoter (44), velevet scoter (5), black-throated diver (3), great crested grebe (1), gannet (1), peregrine (1), lesser black-backed gull (2), comic tern (10), Sandwich tern (25) and finally some guillemot (10), that latter have been rather scarce of late.

Just as I was packing up to go, a great skua was called and I got onto it as it went through low at medium range. Nice end to the seawatch but Georgia beckons and I literally had to get packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment