Navigation

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Party time

I found this just offpatch at Skummeslövsstrand this morning. I saw a single harbour porpoise off Yttre Kattvik on the 7th, perhaps it was this one?

Beautiful blue sky day, with light NW winds at dawn. Nipped out before breakfast for a quick look at Gröthögarna. A scattering of barnacle geese (6 in total) flew over. My first displaying snipe of the year appeared in the sky overhead and a green sandpiper called as it migrated north. The sea was very calm and I therefore decided to cut my walk short and head for Eskilstorpsstrand to go through any scoter that might be present. This was not a bad idea, the flat sea revealed a huge gathering of 1150 velvet scoter and just 50 common scoter. I scanned back and forth through the available birds for an hour before heading for home but there were no surprises, just eight Slavonian grebes and two red-throated divers. Hopefully we will get a few more calm days before these scoter depart and get another look through.

In the afternoon the house filled with small party guests and I slipped out to recce a few dragonfly sites for the summer. I was hoping that the sun might have warmed things up for a chance of Sympecma but I think it was too cold and with no kommun records yet I will be lucky to find this species anyway. But it could be here! Hålehallstugan had three pairs of red-necked grebes, including one pair excitedly mating. Otherwise just two tufted duck and six coot. Next I looked at the pools at Bjäred and the adjacent mire. Best birds here were little grebe (1), crane (2) and a light passage of siskin (58 north). Then it was time to head home to help clear up the debris of a successful party.

Ring ouzels dropped out everywhere along the west coast today, be nice to score one on the patch soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment