Navigation

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Seawatch Part 2

Day 2 of the big blow saw winds staying stubbornly in the SW, although in the afternoon it did finally veer westerly. I spent five hours at Yttre Kattvik with a large crowd and felt rather claustrophobic throughout, not to mention occasionally frustrated. The first hour or two of the morning session here were rather good with plenty of close Arctic skuas (7) but things moved offshore after that. Just one gannet through during this period - a nice dark 1K bird - and I failed to see a kittiwake. Weird. Other highlights were; fulmar (1), great skua (1) and little gull (1K). Slim pickings in other words.

With more going on on the Halland coast I cursed my decision to abandon Eskilstorpsstrand this morning and before moving on to parental duties I spent the last hour-and-a-half at Båstad trying to catch up. This worked well with the best of it being two superb lanky and grey 1K long-tailed skuas (intermediates both) travelling together and lost in the corner of the bay when I dudishly checked out a very low-flying osprey! Also here a distant and brief view far to the north of the Manx shearwater which was terrifying the inhabitants of Mellbystrand and Skummeslöv. Other stuff through included two ospreys south, a nice close merlin ditto, and at least two 1K little gulls.

Back in Förslöv, my sheltered fenceline still held three spotted flycatchers and a pied flycatcher. The latter now my latest record in BK. Will it stay another day?

No comments:

Post a Comment