Navigation

Thursday, October 24, 2013

seawatch at last

American mink - a regular during Båstad seawatches sadly

Westerly winds at last meant seawatching was finally on the cards. I fitted in two sessions at Båstad between my domestic duties today. Just over two hours in the morning netted two sooty shearwaters, three embayed pomarine skuas but I could not find a little auk going past despite them being reported from sites either side of me... Gannets were going past in good numbers and I also logged six scaup and three long-tailed ducks. Offshore a single black guillemot and five black-throated divers were notable. Raptors stole the show though with a merlin through and just before I headed back for lunch a superb late osprey in-off right over my head. My latest by at least five weeks (!) and the latest BK record on Svalan.

The afternoon session was rather quieter though. The three pomarine skuas were still knocking about and kittiwake (5) were coming through at last. Rather quiet (only a short spell of windy weather) but the two BK year-ticks netted were welcome nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment