Navigation

Friday, December 6, 2013

rats!

Spent the best part of a miserable, cold and very windy day seawatching and failed spectacularly!  The first part of the day I looked out from Båstad, which was a mistake the seas were huge here and from such a low vantage point I saw very little. The seemingly resident ivory gull was scant consolation.

Next I tried Yttre Kattvik which was an uncomfortable place to be in gale-force NW winds but at least a few birds were going through. I had missed grey phalarope and two great northern divers though... Whilst here I got put onto a petrel skimming low through the waves at great range, a possible European stormie, but at that range we will never know. Two amazing things about today though, the dearth of birds and those that went by were far out. Difficult but I could have done better.

As I drove home through Kattvik I flushed a green woodpecker, I could not hear him laughing at me over the shriek of the wind but I bet he was...

No comments:

Post a Comment