Navigation

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Birding - 5/5/09

Whilst Ma B and Mrs B went on a shopping spree at the local shopping centre, Number 3 and I went for a wet and windy walk around Hasslarps dammar. Number 3 was alright, tucked up snug in a waterproof buggy, but I must admit I started to miss the blue skies of last week a little. It was mostly wader action here today with little ringed plover (1), ruff (14), wood sandpiper (7) and common sandpiper (3), but other interesting birds included a singing thrush nightingale.

On the way home we all dropped in on Sandön for about 8 minutes (we were on a deadline). In my allotted 8 minutes I managed to see 12 resting barnacle geese, 22 greenshank, three sleeping goosander, one bar-tailed godwit and a fishing osprey. Water levels were up and a vicious westerly was blowing in.

In the afternoon, picked up Numbers 1 & 2 and took them to the sea at Yttre Kattvik. Whilst they refuelled I had ten minutes looking out to sea and scored a single gannet (much scarcer this year than last). Spent the rest of the walk minutely examining slugs with the kids and clambering about on rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment