Navigation

Thursday, May 28, 2009

More sea-watching - 28/05/09

The forecast looked good but I awoke to find the wind direction had shifted southerly in the night and had failed to strengthen. It was going to go west during the morning (and did) but I feared that the southerly winds overnight would not bring us any fresh birds and I was right.

Kicked off just before five all the same and had a close gannet and fulmar pretty quickly. Spent the next three hours for another distant fulmar, a single kittiwake (year-tick) and a light passage of common scoter. I am pretty sure I spent part of the watch in the company of vismig supremo Nils Kjellén - he reminded me a bit of that other bird-finding dynamo Ken Shaw. Anyway between us we failed to see the hoped-for Manx shearwater, so a little disappointing. Maybe we will get more windy weather in June...

No comments:

Post a Comment